Thursday, January 8, 2009

Book Recommendation- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn



I think it is safe to say that I have a soft spot in my heart for immigrant fiction. Thats why I love this coming of age tale of a second generation American, Francie Nolan, who grows up in Brooklyn in the early 20th century. She reads a book a day- alphabetically. I wish I were so dedicated! And yes, like most fiction involving Irish-American immigrants, the family is poor and the father is an alcoholic. Despite those facts, Francie has a beautiful outlook on life, and I admire her for that. I also like this book a lot because the Irish and Brooklyn accents really do come out in the younger character's dialogs, which is really enjoyable. I would definitely recommend this book, and it is a pretty quick and easy read.

No comments: