Thursday, January 1, 2009

Author Spotlight: JK Rowling


I wont lie- it makes me really mad when people wont read Harry Potter because they think it's stupid. The series has sold over 400 million copies worldwide, and the brand is worth $15 billion. I think that makes it worth checking out, right?

Here are my favorite Harry Potter books, in the order from favorite to least favorite.

The Half- Blood Prince (6th)
- I loved this one because it was dark and sad and I felt like the characters grew up the most in this book. And you don't know if Snape is good or bad, and by the end of the book you are convinced he is bad. Plus everyone starts falling for each other. I just love it.

The Order of the Phoenix (5th)-
again, I loved this one because it was so dark. And who doesn't cry when Sirius dies? It's just sad, but I love it.

Prisoner of Azkaban (3rd)-
like I said, I love Sirius. So when he escapes from Azkaban, and you don't know if he is good or bad- it's a page turner. And Hermione has the time turner in this book, which I thought was cool.

The Sorcerer's Stone (1st)-
I mean it's the first book, it is where I got hooked. I dont have much more to say but that. Also it's short and you could read it in a day or two.

The Chamber of Secrets (2nd)-
While this movie is terrible, it's a pretty cool book. I liked how Ginny was controlled by Riddle's diary- and this book is where you start learning more about Voldemort.

Goblet of Fire (4th)-
After reading it this first time, and seeing the movie three times, I cannot possibly read this again. I tried and couldn't get through it. I hated to Triwizard Tournament. I thought it was super distracting from the plot.

The Deathly Hallows (7th)-
Might as well be called The Extended Camping Trip. I thought it was boring until the final battle, I thought Ron was a little bitch, and I do not understand how they could possibly be making two movies out of this book. Hmph.

The Tales of Beedle the Bard-If you are planning on picking this up to learn more about Harry Potter, you are in for a disappointment. I read this in about 25 minutes, and it's just 5 fairy tales with commentary by Dumbledore. It sounds cooler than it is. But, the proceeds from the book go to the Children's High Level Group, a charity that JK Rowling started in 2005. The group benefits children living in institutions- whether they are orphaned or disabled. So in summary: good cause, not the greatest book. But if you are an HP fan, it would be great to add to the collection!

No comments: